Monday 28 March 2011

Crisis, what Crisis?

Apologies it's been such a long time since my last post, but I haven't been in good enough shape to turn on the PC.  However, all is now resolving.

The aforementioned back pain that you were all so sympathetic about in your comments moved around all over my body, changing its nature and making it difficult, no impossible, to move around without considerable discomfort in various places.  Then other more obvious symptoms of Graft versus Host Disease (GvHD), eg itchy body rash, made it clear that that was the underlying cause and it needed bringing under control prontissimo.  Cue a course of high dose steroids, and insertion of a cannula so that my drugs could be administered intravenously again instead of orally because I'd been bringing them back up again too frequently, which rather reduces their efficacy, as you can imagine.

The medical team was very efficient and decisive and Julia too has made sure that not only does she continue to come every single day (and for most of the day too regardless of her own tiredness, work crises etc) but also to ensure that she is always here for the important medical consultations, because I have been drifting about in my own little world for the last few days.  Three million cheers for Julia: RaaaaaaaaaaaY!!!

The upshot of all this is that I feel much better now, though very Feak and Weeble, my temp is normal and they're starting to wean me back onto oral drugs rather than IV, with the intention of throwing me back out onto the street by the end of the week.  I have to say I've given up on targets myself.  It's enough that I am where I am, I've been where I've been and let the future take care of itself.  So much easier to live like that.  It'll come when it's ready.

However, other very good news is that all the results of the Bone Marrow Test that I had ten days ago are now back and show that 95-98% of all my blood cells are donor cells (the benchmark they are looking for is 90% plus), so engraftment has definitely been successful, and there is zero sign of any CLL.  Still early days, but everything there looks positive.

Finally had visits from brother Andrew, sister Sally and son Ben, all very supportive and frequently emotional which felt very cathartic, restorative and healing.

12 comments:

  1. I must admit I was getting a bit worried, Patrick, and almost scared to ask after your wellbeing. A rollercoaster recovery but things looking up now it seems. Great news on the BM results which must give you heart.
    Love and thoughts from the mainland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read this - I think we were all holding our collective breaths through last week - large collective sigh to follow.
    Love and positive ones from the fields.....Veggie Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. FanTAStic news, Patrick!!! Really glad to hear the graft is winning through - especially after all you've been through, which must have been awful. Good luck with the oral drugs. Big hugs to you both from Richard & Norma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, indeed, have been breath holding - am really rather pink... heading for purple now.... rather suspected all this had been going on, but with an underlying sense of optimism (from somewhere). You must feel so battered and up, down, up, down... and so must Julia. Very, very pleased to read about the blood cell/donor cell reading... that's excellent. I guess it was never going to be easy was it! Warm spring sunshine coming through. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew you are a terrible old ham getting the max out of every appearence. Even so welcome back and bugger goals just wait it all out as no amount of positive thinking will make any difference just WAIT and SEE xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Pakit, congratulations!! What a relief!
    Love, Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. How good to hear your jolly ol' voice. We was getting worrid. And now I've got tears in my eyes to read that you have more than the required bloody magic numbers. K! Hip hip hooray! Just keep heading in the onward and upward direction. Oh, and by the way, we think Julia's pretty fab, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, go. go those donor cells. First class progress, Mr Burrows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh what a time you've had. Absolutely brilliant to have you back online, please give my very best love to all those wonderful donor cells.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was 40 days and nights in the wilderness. Only 7? Lightweight, learn the script! Great to have your positive news, our hooks were hanging on the tenter for a while. Bless you both. Ian xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patrick,

    You still make me laugh out loud even when your ill - I don't know how you do it!! 'Feak and Weeble'. Ha ha.

    Brilliant to hear things are looking positive.

    Love,

    Katy (AK)

    ReplyDelete