Saturday 5 March 2011

Low Energy

Thank you all for your continuous stream of vibes, thoughts and good wishes.

Lack of communication from my side is not because I don't appreciate them (not at ALL), but because I have been very low on energy over the last few days (see pic).
Can't eat much, or drink much.
Can't bat, can't bowl, can't field.
Can't blog.
Can't catch mice.

Blood counts are low as a result of everything we've been doing to my Poor Body over the last three weeks.  Umpteen drugs every day, many of them to counteract the side-effects of the others.  Pretty constant temperature over the last week, though nothing frighteningly high.  Saline drips to keep me hydrated.  Headaches, nausea, sensitivity to bright light or loud noise.  Sickness, diarrhoea.  You get the picture.

However, two items of possilbe good news: docs reckon the new Stem Cells have started to engraft because I am showing mild signs of Graft versus Host Disease.  Nothing too severe, but enough to show that things are happening.  Secondly, some of my blood counts have started to turn around and move back up towards normal.  In fact, my platelet count is higher than it has been for years, which I'm particularly pleased about because that was a secondary symptom of CLL in me.  The count we really want to see improving is the Neutrophils, which are a type of white blood cell and the body's first line of defence against bacterial infection.  Once these start to recover properly, they should deal with the minor infections I have been suffering from for the last week which have caused my constant temperature.

Onwards and Upwards!

3 comments:

  1. Come on Neutrophils.... do your stuff... you know you want to.
    I'm really sorry you've been feeling so ghastly.... I've got everything crossed for this week being much, much better.... Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - come on Neutrophils and help Patrick's Poor Body!

    And we hope that your tummy isn't yet quite this furry and that you'll soon feel less nauseous and much more mousacious. And lots and lots of love, Fi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto ditto re neutrophils. Good news re incipient G vs H. Frankly it's amazing you're managing to blog at all in your condition. You may not feel too inspired as you contemplate the toilet bowl yet again but you're inspiring us. Courage, mon ami. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete