Friday 1 April 2011

Keep Pulling

I'm sorry I've been keeping you on tenterhooks between blogs, but the hospital PC has been becoming less and less reliable and finally seemed to give up the effort altogether this afternoon.

However, it doesn't matter any more because I'm OUT!
After seven and a half weeks since admission, they've finally let me go.
I can't tell you how good it is to be home at last and I just hope it's not too temporary a reprieve from hospital food (difficult to tell whether my lunch today had already been eaten by someone else or not).

A few last minute hurdles yesterday and today, revolving around a CT scan I had yesterday to make sure my lymph glands were not swollen as a result of the latest virus they've detected in the blood.  But no, that was fine.  However, then there was a very frustrating last-minute hold-up because my potassium levels were very low and I had to have a six hour infusion all afternoon before they'd let me go.

But it's finally happened and I'm at home again.
And spring is in full swing.
In fact the pear tree sprang into blossom only today to welcome me home.
Surely a good omen.
And certainly a delight.

I have an enormous bag of drugs to make sure all my various viruses are balanced against each other and none gets control of the situation, and I will be going in to the Day Clinic on Monday and Wednesday next week.  But meanwhile, I have the weekend to enjoy at home.

Although I'm out this evening, I have to admit to being somewhat nervous about being dragged straight back in again for a crisis, but that's partly because I can't quite believe the first phase may be over and I'm so very keen not to have to go back.

Keep pulling
So please don't stop pulling on those ropes because I feel my head has only just appeared over the parapet of the well and I might well topple back in.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and tackle the stairs again (amazing how feeble my body is after seven weeks lying about) and start on that monster bag of drugs.

Thank you all for all your wonderful support so far, verbal, mental, spiritual and all.

6 comments:

  1. Very happy to hear it!
    Fun fact about pear trees: they can produce fruit for up to 100 years.
    Have a lovely weekend of freedom with Julia.
    Lots of Love from Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woke up this morning and saw sun trying to make it through the clouds and thought that's Mr Patrick
    Then found YOU IS GETTING BETTER fantastic I shall eat a cat for breakfast, maybe even two...but they have such pleading eyes...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here the peach and apricot are covered in celebratory flowers and the lemons swelling with colour. I'm off to meet our Coz on Appia Antica in beautiful Spring sunshine.
    Will keep hoisting away... I am sure you were right to let go of targets on the WHEN and simply focus on the WHETHER....funny how things fall into place .....YELS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whe-hey, lad! That's the best kind of news. XXOO :))))) And gardens in spring are SO good for the soul, enjoy, both of you! Don't worry about us keeping pulling, we've actually tethered your rope down by forming a human pyramid over it, so soak up the view for a few days, feel the sun on your face.......elbows out on terra firma next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful news Patrick! Feeling so excited for you and your rebirth! You too will soon be blossoming like your pear tree. Your rope metaphor makes me imagine you as a very special tree that has been blown down in a hugh storm and a team of people are hauling you upright again, using ropes of course, and another team of people are carefully spreading your roots in the soil and making sure the ground is well prepared so you can take root again! No-one will stop pulling, rest assured. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news, Patrick :) Let the Spring sunshine help grow all those new cells of yours.

    ReplyDelete