Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Well

A much better day today, I'm glad to say.
Not only was I feeling better, but I'm trying harder too, though I hate to admit it.

On the Up
Cyclosporine level is stable for second day running on steady dose.
Promising.

No sickness or headaches.
Even more promising.

Neutrophils up to 2.38, well inside the 'normal' range.
Beyond promising and highly positive.

Feet and ankles badly swollen on account of water retention, but this will resolve as I eat and exercise more, which I am resolutely determined to do.  Easier of course when you don't have headaches and nausea.  Feet not painful anway.  Unless you tread on them.

My Major Aim is now to be out of hospital ASAP.  It will be much easier to eat and exercise more when the menu is a little more appetising and I am not cooped up in a room twelve feet by twelve. In this room there is also a bed, a bedside cabinet, a wardrobe, a desk, an Electric Chair, a fridge, an exercise bike, a drip pump on wheels, a medical trolley, a large pedal bin, a pair of scales, a wheeled table....and me.  When I have visitors it becomes crowded.  In fact, it is already crowded.

Only issue yet to be satisfactorily resolved is why I still get occasional temperatures.  What is the nature of this infection that eludes all the antibiotics we are pumping in and has still not succumbed to the Renewed Resurgence of the Neutrophils?  Will we ever know?  Do we care?!

More tests today: an MRI scan of my head which successfully located the small particle of brain which became accidentally lodged there at birth, but failed to find a reason for my headaches (that's because it was the Cyclosporin overdoses, I suspect); and a Lumbar Puncture - the removal of a small quantity of spinal fluid (not as painful as it sounds, I'm glad to say) - to check for abnormalities; answers tomorrow on that one, though we're not expecting to find anything significant, just covering all bases.  And I think that test completes the checklist for the full 50-year MoT.

With luck the Neutrophils will do their stuff and bring the temperature under control without any further outside intervention or tests.

Finally, I had a Moving Vision this morning (and no, the telly wasn't on).
It brought tears and catharsis and involved all of you.  Scary, huh?


Grand Mosque, Kairouan
 This is the courtyard of the Grand Mosque in Kairouan in Tunisia.
I was there in 1975, and still remember it clearly.
Kairouan is the third Holiest City of the Moslem world, after Mecca and Medina.  Construction of the mosque was begun in 670 AD (the year 50 in the Islamic calendar) and is not only very old, but hugely impressive.
Set at intervals in the enormous courtyard are several wells.  There is a marble one in the foreground of this picture on the left.

Groovy Well
In my vision, I am at the bottom of that well, standing in the bucket, to which are attached many sturdy ropes.
As you can see in the detailed picture of the well (see right), the rim is scarred with the grooves of many centuries of ropes hauled from its depths.  Attached to the upper end of those ropes is You.  One each.  All I can see looking up is a beautiful circle of bright blue sky and the occasional face peering down to shout encouragement or insults, depending on your fancy.  So pick up a rope, pull away and I will soon be back with you again.  No hurry, it's already happening.

Thank you all so much for all the hauling you have done so far.

11 comments:

  1. Hooray, hooray, hooray! That's well groovy! Got the rope round my shoulders, feet planted sturdily on the ground and hauling away. Get on yer bike and whizz on out of there ... with Julia on the cross bar. xxx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all pulling away. Heave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you celebrating your 60th birthday in Kairouan, with your nearest and dearest, standing around this same well, bringing a toast on your good health. All very grateful! Wonderful moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute fellow commenters, don't you see Mr Patrick is in the gravest danger, there is an ELECTRIC CHAIR in his hospital room! Forget the damn fool ropes and heaving that is all imaginary but this is what the NHS cuts mean ELECTRIC CHAIRS at the ready to terminate the more expensively ill patients.

    Mr Patrick if they dare use it I-Shall-Write-To-My-MP

    Private note to Patrick (watch Luisa she could be a double agent, a toast in the court yard of the Grande Mosque would be suicidal but perhaps she believes we should all declare at 60 and give way to Yuf)

    Glad you winning x

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, Dixie. Yes, what is that electric chair for, Patrick? And are you actually in a fit enough state to have had any goes on the exercise bike or does it just take up space? Here's a fruit-juice toast to the Well and Wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God, a fruit-juice toast....of course !!!
    Sorry to visualise risking your life! Thanks to Dixie and Richard it turns out right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am feeling happy and uplifted again having read that last posting - sounds like you will be out of there and in that Gingerbread Cottage very soon. See you there! Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pulling along with everyone else - xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news, lots of positive thoughts to your neutrophils. Much love

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, the daffodils are out now... crocuses and snowdrops too ... and naughty nuthatches, chaffinches, troublesome tits - blue, greater, long tailed, (did I see a coal tit?), goldfinches, greenfinches, robins, greedy greater spotted woody woodpeckers, weeny wrens, cockney sparrers, jaunty jays and more are all eating me out of house and home. It's warmer and lighter... time to come out and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Electric Chair is for exercising one's patience, I've discovered. And yes, I have been on the exercise bike once or twice, but mustn't overdo it... As for toasts, I was thinking more in terms (I nearly typed 'thermos') of Holy Water from the mosque cistern itself.

    ReplyDelete