Thursday 17 March 2011

St Patrick's Day

Shamrock
It's St P's Day today and I am to be treated to three tests, two on my heart, since infections can lurk undetected in the chambers of the heart.  One of these involves an outing to nearby St Hellier's hospital since they have a super-snazzy machine.  The others will take place here and are a hi-res CT scan also on my heart, and finally a Bone Marrow Biopsy this afternoon (not a very pleasant experience, as they drilll a big needle into the hip bone from behind.  Happily, getting the bone marrow itself is reasonably painless cos it's all anaesthetised, but they also take a sliver of bone which can't be anaesthetised.  Ouch!

Yesterday I felt a lot better in the middle of the day, but sadly it didn't last and I brought up my supper later.  Such setbacks can be very depressing.

Still no closer to identifying whatever infections are inhabiting my body unfortunately.
I have a constant high temp (peaking at 39 yesterday evening), feel permanently feverish and now have a bad case of The Shakes (another possible side-effect of cyclosporin apparently).

Hoping to be able to give you better news next time...

7 comments:

  1. Happy Saint Paddy's Day, Patrick. Sorry to read you're not really fit to enjoy it. I hope these tests will finally isolate the source of your infection. We're thinking of you here on the mainland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a four leafed clover/shamrock once when I was about 10 and promptly got into the semi-finals of the high jump at school which was quite extraordinary for me.... so I'm filling my head with four leafed shamrocks for you to help through all this horridness.
    Begorrah, BeJaysus, Bebetter. Joxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor old you! And what are those Neutrophils doing? They need to be on the look-out in the inner recesses of your heart and all, hoovering up the pesky bugs. They're obviously not getting on with the job - too busy meeting and greeting and gossiping on street corners. I'm sending them some major activations and am sure they'll jump to it. And lots of love for you, Fi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Patrick, my friend, poorly one! So sorry it's been so ghastly. I've been thinking of you every day, despite lack of comments. Really hope things start looking brighter soon. We're all rooting for you, and holding you in our hearts. Lucy, Amy, Sue and I send all love poss. Ianx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miserable for you, mon pauvre. Hoping for useful test results and an end to the fevers/shakes. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick your blog swallowed my fine comments this is second try and I can't remember the brillance of the first, so cut to the chase, lots and lots of love as you are having a bloody time {literally} xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw an inflatable of a tankard of beer but the beer was green because it was Irish beer for St Patrick's Day- So Irish.

    ReplyDelete