Tuesday 1 February 2011

Tattooed!

In the Marsden today for the first of four appointments on consecutive days this week.
All sorts of interesting preparations for the Big Day.

The dragon tattoo I didn't have
Today they were setting things up for the single dose of radiation that I am due to have on the 16th Feb immediately before the Transplant itself.  The idea is to zap my old (malfunctioning) immune system just before introducing the new one from the donor.  So I had a CT scan (lying on a bed going to and fro through a giant ring of shiny humming machinery) so that they can determine exactly how much radiation to give me on Feb 16th and where to aim it.  And in order to ensure that everything's lined up on Feb 16th exactly as it was today, they moulded the bed around me with a vacuum bag filled with polystyrene granules and then tattooed my chest and stomach.  I asked for a dragon, but was only given a couple of very central freckles.  My first tattoos though.

Back tomorrow for kidney and heart tests.

2 comments:

  1. You frightened my inner granny I thought that picture was you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm Patrick, "The Boy with the Dragon Tattoo." Doesn't sound very original, think you'll have to come up with something different!
    I look forward to seeing you back and fit, I'll expect you at Chi-gung class by summer..!
    I've a viewing suggestion for the ensuing months, this is what I've been up too..
    Watch www.positivetv.tv (to keep you feeling positive!)
    xxjeremy

    ReplyDelete