Friday 11 February 2011

Last Week of Freedom


Had a lovely time last weekend at my Little Brudder Chris's house in Oxfordshire with my Nearest and Dearest friends.  Very aptly termed my "wrap-around love and good luck weekend".  A happy and relaxing time of excellent food, conversation and activity, surrounded by the people I love most.  Not to mention plenty of Fizz.  All highly sustaining and fortifying for the journey ahead.  And yet another example of how many blessings this disease has brought into my life.  If I hadn't been about to have a transplant, this weekend would not have taken place, nor would there have been the same shared significance, closeness or harmony in the atmosphere and communion between us.  How can I possibly see myself as a victim in those circumstances?  On the contrary, I feel exceptionally fortunate.  This is not putting on a brave face or making the best of a bad hand.  It is simply reality.

I'm the one on the left
 Chris had arranged for a falconer to come round on Saturday afternoon so we all went for a walk with a Harris hawk, passing the glove around between us as it swooped from tree to hand and back.  The local rabbits had made themselves very scarce, so the hawk had to content himself with chick nuggets from the glove.  Slightly pathetic sustenance for such a magnificent bird.  But he seemed quite happy.


And the Low Maintenance version
My wonderful weekend has been followed by quite a busy week, seeing friends and tidying things up before my anticipated month's absence from the house.  And nothing medical, I'm glad to say, this week.  Nice to have a rest from needles and nurses (well, needles anyway) for a few days before the Big Event.

And so many good wishes and loving thoughts from so many friends.  Not to mention cards, and hugs and kisses, and even presents...

Never has anyone entered a Lion's Den so well prepared and supported.  Especially when the LD is actually populated by pussycats.  I'm due in tomorrow at 11.30 and, though this may sound slightly bizarre, I'm rather looking forward to it.
Time to begin the Great Adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage, Patrick: great to see your non-victim perspective.

    Just thought I'd mention that I can't see your latest photos (unlike the earlier ones) - they seem to be part of a slideshow and when you click on them, you're taken to Hotmail. Or it could just be that I'm viewing on a Mac.

    Nice new profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Richard. I've re-engineered the photos, so they should be visible now. Do let me know if not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, all visible now: and a great pair of pics - love the contrast!!

    ReplyDelete