Saturday 12 February 2011

In and Out

Julia took me in to the Marsden this morning at 11.30 as scheduled.  I checked in to my room and then had my first dose of chemo administered through the Hickman line.  63mg of fludarabine, to be precise.  All went smoothly, though I felt a little light-headed and slightly disconnected from Reality for a while (so what else is new?).


In and Out in quick succession
And then they let me out again!
Hooray!
So I was home in time to watch the rugby before having a few zzzz's this afternoon.
Very civilized.
And we should be able to perform the same routine tomorrow, so my proper incarceration won't start till Monday.
That's the plan anyway.


The chemo is of course essentially Poison.
Targeted poison, but still poison.
The idea is to reduce my immune system to rubble with three days of fludarabine, then give it a final nuking with a single burst of radiotherapy on Wednesday, immediately before the Transplant.
That clears the battleground for the new troops to move in, i.e. the new blood stem cells from the transplant donor.

During this initial bombardment of my old (and malfunctioning) immune system, I am also being given lots of prophylactic medicines to prevent all sorts of likely infections taking unwelcome advantage of the lack of a resident defence force before the new one moves in.  That's the Theory.  Now for the Practice...

5 comments:

  1. Do you know the time of the Big T on Wednesday? Let us know, so your Followers can do a Special Surge of Laserbeams of Lerv from all corners of the globe. YELS Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you haven't joined the army?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there while all that zapping's going on. Laserbeam of lurv at the ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't give you the precise timing yet, I'm afraid. So keep your Laserbeam batteries topped up cos you might have to keep them on all day. Most likely is early afternoon, but I'll try and keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laserbeams will be on from moment of waking-up onwards.
    Let us know when to switch them on to fullblast though. x

    ReplyDelete