Friday 6 July 2012

Wet Wet Wet

What happened to Summer?
Rain, rain and more rain.
Almost as plentiful as the news reports about it:

... wettest June in over 100 years... inundation... massive clean-up operation... what a mess... widespread flooding... mud everywhere... water pouring in...  up to our knees in minutes... Biblical proportions... Emergency Services... overwhelmed... hosepipe ban... blocked drains... abandoned vehicles... rats on streets... media frenzy... hyperbole abounds... blah blah blah...

Not that it has affected me too much yet.
I don't get out a great deal anyway and happily our cellar remains dry to date...

Having said that, I did manage to get out for my first Proper Outing for aaaaaages yesterday. John Graves had very kindly included Julia and me when he bought tickets for an evening game of T20 cricket at the Oval some time ago and at the time I wasn't at all sure I'd be up to it. But it turned out I was!  Hurrah!  Progress!  Had a very good time, much enjoyed the cricket (particularly because Kent won at a canter) and managed to last the whole evening without wilting, Delicate Flower that I am these days.

AND the weather was very fine too...

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear you managed to take in some cricket - unwilted. I'm going camping next week - forget wilting - I may dissolve!
    Grassnakes are back - saw one on the old compost heap last night - or was it an anaconda? It was HUGE! Gave me quite a start! And I have baby bunnies living in the garage! Will check out name of NZ glowworm haunt - can't remember it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did see the glowworms apparently, tho sadly my memory is so drug-affected at the moment that I can't remember it. But Julia can!
      They're near Rotorua, and looking on the internet, I see the place is called Waitomo.
      Hopefully the memory will return one day...

      What are the rabbits doing in your garage???
      Not under the car, I trust.
      Or is it the sort of garage that never sees a car?
      Hope the giant grass snake doesn't find them... perish the thought.

      Delete
  2. Hi Patrick - been a while! Glad to hear you've been able to get a bit of cricket in.

    If one runs an indoor tourist attraction, the odd spot of rain really goes down rather well. The Tank Museum is having a record year at the moment! Every cloud and all that sort of thing...

    cheers

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,
      VG to hear from you.
      And delighted to hear the tanks are riding high on the weather.
      One day I shall come and visit you when full fitness returns.
      Trust you and family are all thriving.
      All the best,
      P

      Delete