Sunday 15 July 2012

No news is good news

 
Nothing much to report this week, which is good news.
No crises, no emergencies, no traumas.
Or, in Stanley Holloway's best deadpan Lancastrian accent in his rendition of  'The Lion and Albert':
"There was no wrecks and noobody drownded, 'fact noothin' to laff at at all"
Which is when the trouble started for Albert of course...
But hopefully it's a good sign for me, and not the Lull before another Storm.

I even managed an Extended Outing to Evensong at Westminster Abbey yesterday
with Julia and cousin Eli, for which many thanks are due to Bob and Dixie for organising a wheelchair space for me and for entertaining us all afterwards in their house in Dean's Yard. Bob even threw in a free guided tour of the Abbey after the service. And the choir of course was magnificent. All very spirit-nourishing and memorable.
I'm gradually getting stronger physically and more with-it mentally, although the progress can only be measured week by week rather than daily. But progress there clearly is when I look back a week or two and remember how grim things used to be.

Julia is now encouraging me to try eating some solid food again, so I can wean myself off the NG tube, so we'll see how that goes over the next few days. I hope the recovery process will snowball and therefore accelerate gradually as I take each new step. Inshallah, as ever. We shall see...

4 comments:

  1. Mr Patrick I hear porcupine and hedgehog kebabs are good for convalescents. A dab or two of chilli sauce behind their ears makes them particularly nourishing. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. May need to wait a few weeks (or decades) before I try those...

      Delete
  2. While you were listening to Evensong at Westminster Abbey, I was being sucked into the mud at a music festival in Dorset (not quite Glastonbury depth, but pretty bad!). But the music was fab, the food was delish and company great. I like to think of extremes, and Westminster Abbey to that are two ends of a scale - both wonderful.
    Solid food again sounds like a good idea, a little bit at a time. Are taste buds bearing up? V. pleased to hear progress continuing bit by bit.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing your most precious missus at the weekend and will endeavour to send her home in one piece. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taste buds need retraining for sure. And nothing in my world happens quickly these days, but at least we've made a start.
      And please do send J back unharmed. She is indeed most precious.

      Delete