Friday 4 May 2012

Birthday

I had a very different birthday (29th April) this year, as you can imagine, but none the less memorable for that. Lots of cards and messages. And visits from Julia, my brother Chris and son Ben. And to cap it all, a Chorus of Nurses produced a slice of strawberry cake and serenaded me with Happy Birthday. Ben had to eat my cake for me cos it wouldn't fit down my naso-gastric tube(!), but he didn't seem to mind...



I have attained the same age as the year of my birth, so work that one out!
Consequently, I thought I'd better have a look at the significance of the number 56 (oops! given it away).

The best I could glean from a collection of weird and wonderful numerology websites is that the number 56 is ruled by the Moon and is a magical number which can 'create wonders at unexpected times'. As a combination, 50 represents Higher Intelligence and Liberty from Bondage, and 6 represents Divine Grace and Freedom from physical ties. Sounds OK to me.

There are also 56 so-called Aubrey Holes at Stonehenge, named after the 17th century antiquarian John Aubrey who discovered them, which were created around 3000 BC, though whether they have astronomical significance associated with the lunar cycle or whether they are simply post-holes is a matter of some conjecture. Hmmm.

That aside, I'm glad to say that I appear to be improving, albeit slowly, and feel better overall than yesterday, which was in turn better than the day before.
Long may that trend continue!

Apart from the fluctuating liver and blood counts, which the docs are struggling to bring under control while keeping an overall balance in my vital bodily functions, the main issues for me are still sore mouth, throat and eyes, for which I have a cocktail of remedies (all of which provide only temporary relief unfortunately) and which are obviously not good for my Quality of Life at the moment. But these issues are high on the docs' agenda now and a gradual return to overall health will also assist. The dryness of my eyes prevents me from reading, using the PC or watching TV for any longer than a few minutes at a time, so my entertainment consists of mental puzzles (crosswords, Su Doku and the like) and very short articles for the time being, which is where messages and visits from Friends and Family also provide much needed relief and pleasure.

Julia has been a Tower of Strength throughout all the traumas of the last 15 months, and continues to be so, despite the enormous stress she is under from visiting me almost every day (about an hour's drive each way) and juggling her job to fit in. Not to mention having to watch and cope with her husband's daily fluctuations in health. She's also fantastically good at communicating with the medical staff, keeping notes and asking all the right questions. In short, I couldn't do it without her. One of my key incentives for recovery is the opportunity to look after her needs again for a while - particularly the need for a Good Holiday!

The docs' most recent verdict is that I'm likely to stay in hospital at least for the rest of this week, which is actually a bit of a relief because whilst I'd obviously rather be at home, the care here is both 24-hour and second to none, and it takes some of the pressure off Julia until I'm well enough to do a bit more for myself. The last thing we want is a premature discharge, followed by yet another crisis and an all-too-speedy return to hospital.

So we're doing what we can to avoid that.

3 comments:

  1. Wheyhey! I can be the first to comment today. Dixie must have gone on hols to somewhere beyond the reach of the internet as I was (sort of) last week in la bella Toscana in the rain. Glad to hear you're in for unexpected wonders this year ...you deserve some. But I think looking up 50 and 6 separately is cheating so forget freedom from physical ties for the time being. Lots of love from Rome to you and the ToS, YELS & co xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah but Sally the first shall be last.
    Patrick sits in my Google reader where about 5 zillion other posts clunk themselves down so sometimes I miss his missive. Thats nearly as good as "I miss my Swiss miss and my Swiss miss misses me" a statement I dedicate to au pairs every where.

    Here you are Patrick a brain twister specially made for you

    "My first is the last of four and my second is north of Cambridge if you discover that you have the name of one who could tell you what Cerberus and blackest midnight produced."

    Ha think that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Patrick,

    Belated Birthday greetings!
    I knew it was your Birthday, and wished you a happy one, but as I was at my country house, where you can only listen to the song of the trees from the forest hills which surround me, the song of the river passing bellow my house, and the song of the birds, but no TV, not to mention internet!!!!!! So having my coffee amongst the bliss I described, I wished you all the health in the World, to you, Julia and Ben, which is the one thing no one can buy. And as we say in Bulgaria - Health, long life, and money to buy to buy the rest!"
    Actually, you Patrick are a very rich man! A loving and dedicated wife and son! Just get well!

    Your Friend,
    Svetla

    ReplyDelete