Wednesday 18 April 2012

Pain



Pain, or Discomfort, as many in the medical profession prefer to term it.
Now, there's a subject I've had plenty of experience of recently.
Although I can't say I'm much better at handling it than I used to be.
Maybe a little.
Practice makes Perfect, after all.

The care at the Marsden is first-class.
The staff are gentle and thoughtful.
And I try very hard NOT to see it as the House of Pain.
But one of the major reasons I don't want to go back in is the routine of Daily Stabbings to take blood. My veins have all shrunk in protest at this treatment, which makes them harder to find and creates a Vicious Circle of increasing pain - sorry, I mean discomfort.
On some days it would take up to four attempts to get the blood they needed out of me, and I haven't met a nurse yet who enjoyed that. Nor of course did I.
Happily, that daily routine is behind me for the time being.
Long may it remain so!


The principal source of pain in my life now is the constant soreness in my mouth, throat and eyes. This is mainly caused, I believe, by GvHD (our old friend Graft versus Host Disease) which is a product of the donor's blood and bone marrow not getting on with the rest of me as well as might have been hoped.

I am on a daily cocktail of.continually adjusted drugs to try and relieve both the GvHD and the pain, but all solutions have so far proved temporary. I am taking ten or twenty little buckets of anti-virals, anti-fungals and anti-biotics every day; maybe even anti-freeze, who knows? Hang on a minute, there IS a pink one.....

But still it sometimes gets too much for my Feeble Disposition.
A couple of nights ago, the soreness in my mouth became much worse and I woke up in excruciating pain in the early hours. I woke poor Julia with my Whimpering and Moaning, to which she responded magnificently (as is her wont), not once, but three times that night. She then rang the hospital the following day to discuss it and we are now managing the pain with a regime of 3-hourly alternate doses of codeine and paracetamol, without which life would be quite literally unbearable. For a couple of days I couldn't bear anything in my mouth at all, not even a sip of cold water or a dry thermometer! It is still too painful to eat or drink, though I have managed a couple of sips of water today, so maybe it is improving. It's also too sore to talk much, so I communicate largely in sign language and whispers at the moment.

Which reminds me (with apologies to those of you who have heard this from me before, which may be most of you because it's one of my favourites):
Why are there no painkillers in the jungle?
Cos the parrots-eat-em-all.

So what have I learnt about Pain through these experiences?
Not a great deal that isn't very obvious if you stop to think about it, to be honest.
But I didn't use to stop and think about it much.
Like most of us, I took my health and wellbeing for granted until they were removed.
But suffering a fair degree of pain myself over the last few months, and especially the last few days, has made me more aware of and sensitive to the suffering of others; particularly children and animals, the Innocents of our World.
This is all rather banal, I'm afraid, but one of my principal sources of pleasure in the past, namely wildlife documentaries, have suddenly become rather affecting and upsetting if there is too much violence in them. Which there usually is!
I expect I'll get over it in time.....

More usefully, as I discovered on the first night of mouth pain, before we had implemented the codeine/paracetamol solution, an alternative source of physical pleasure went a long way towards alleviating the suffering. It meant poor Julia sitting up half the night tenderly stroking and soothing me, but it worked!
However, wonderful as Julia is (and, believe me, she IS), it's a little too much to ask of her to make a habit of it, given that she is holding down a day job as a Company Director, continuously managing both her life and mine, and hasn't had a holiday in months....

I cannot say enough in praise of Julia throughout this Torrid Time.
She of course has been through the mangle herself as it has unfolded, but despite that, has retained her resilience and unwavering support for me. Not to mention her amazing facility for practical management of each situation as it develops.
And I say this as objectively as possible, not just because I love her.
Without her, I simply could not have coped.

View DSCF0297.JPG in slide show

Enough for now.
Or maybe too much already...
Please do leave your comments on this blog, however short.
It's always very good to hear from any or all of you and I draw strength from knowing that I am in your thoughts from time to time.

With love and best wishes to all,
Patrick

8 comments:

  1. On the subject of Cure: I think I will get you a T shirt with I AM NOT EGYPT on it so that the plagues bugger off.

    On the subject of NHS bloodletting: Why do they always say "Sharp scratch coming" are they expecting to slip?

    On the subject of Julia: ask her to write the NHS a longish note, then they would be sorted, the government would take the credit but we would know the truth.

    On the subject of mouth-on-fire - Something you said?

    On the subject of this comment: Isn't it well organised, a model of logic.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of jungles .... and pain...from Frank I hasten to preface:

    How do elephants hide in the jungle?

    Answer:Paint their balls pink and hide in the cherry trees.

    What's the loudest noise in the jungle?


    Answer: Monkeys swinging in the cherry trees!

    With love from Rome xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you Patrick! I seem to be all out of wit and cleverness at the moment (don't be tempted to comment on that!) so I can't measure up to your other bloggees (is that what we are? I've never commented on a blog before). However, I do feel awful that I haven't swung by SIP on my bicycle, so I shall correct this by doing exactly that one evening very soon. How much notice do you need and is 6:30 a good time? I will probably wait until the weather brightens - I'm even less appealing than normal when I'm dripping in my sodden day-glo bike-gear.

    Interesting what you say about the wildlife documentaries. If I can stay awake (it's not just David Attenborough, who I love, but nowadays any nature doc sends me to sleep - I have to record them because I always miss at least the last quarter of an hour)... if I can stay awake, I've noticed that younger son Lochie (just turned 12!) cannot watch any death scene, and yes, we both know nature is red in tooth and claw, but I've become inured to these scenes. I put it down to age, but perhaps our lives of relative 'comfort' dull those senses. Or maybe I'm just a cold-hearted old bugger?

    Best wishes to you and the marvellous Julia. Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,
      What a pleasure to hear from you!
      And yes, it would be great if you could drop by on you bike one evening.
      Not much notice usually needed (I don't get out a great deal at the moment.....) and 630 pm would suit very well.
      Hope to see you soon.
      P

      Delete
  4. Dear Patrick,
    Take care of Julia, and yourself. It is so nice to see so much love and tenderness. Keep it up!

    Svetla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Svetla,
      What a lovely surprise!
      How on earth did you find this blog?
      Would love to be in touch on email and catch up properly, but don't want to post my email address on here cos it's too public. Nor you yours.
      Email me if you've got my address.
      Otherwise, not quite sure how we swap email addresses in private. Any ideas?
      Much love,
      P xxoo

      Delete
  5. Padders, me old fruit, you've made me weep. Partly from frustration; any one of us/all of us would give our back teeth to be able to sort out this giraffe v ghost disease (thus sharing your pain to a degree). Partly because we have a bit of an idea of how tough it is for you and St Julia of SIP. Saying you're both in our thoughts seems so very inadequate. But you are. Often. There's lots of us Burrowers out here. And no doubting Thomas's.
    As a big fan of pharmaceuticals, I hope they sort you out and make life tolerable to the extent that you can soon tackle a double-hard vindaloo with extra chillies.
    Life in Old is v quiet at the moment, Ian in KL; wall to wall examining of candidates of dubious merit and getting used to hotel living (ha! soon put THAT right when he gets home). Amy's away; just started a 5 month job as assistant lighting technician at Glyndebourne for this season, hoorah! Lucy and Dave in the process of house hunting, which feels all a bit grown up. I just garden, come rain and shine. And there's been a lot of rain.
    If you have an idle moment, Markets in Britain on YouTube will give you a flavour of my sophisticated rural life.
    Keep smiling and only fill your eyes and brain with gentle restorative things. And wrestling.
    Loads of love and virtual hugs,
    Sue XXXXX

    ReplyDelete