Saturday 14 April 2012

On His Own

Well,  here we go again.
It's just over a year since my last post on this blog (2.4.11), during which time I've had more Ins and Outs to and from hospital than the Boat Race.  Well, nearly.....
Oops! Clash of blades....







Here's Julia's record of them all since the Transplant (I haven't been sufficiently compos mentis a lot of the time to keep a record myself):

15 Feb -  1 Apr (6 weeks)
  8 Apr - 27 Apr (3 weeks)
27 May - 14 Jun (3 weeks)
18 Aug - 13 Oct (8 weeks)
27 Oct -  29 Oct (St. Thomas's)
29 Oct - 18 Nov (3 weeks)
22 Nov - 28 Nov (1 week)
13 Dec - 30 Dec (overnight at SIP from 25 to 30 Dec; daily return for antibiotic (2 weeks)
Total weeks in hospital in 2011 = 26 weeks
12 Mar - 26 Mar (2 weeks)
  2 Apr - 13 Apr (2 weeks)

I'm still tired and sore in all sorts of uncomfortable places, but feeling better overall than I have for a while, so maybe that's a good sign.  We shall see....

So counting the weeks in December when I was a daily outpatient, this is my 10th Bid for Freedom since the transplant. Let's hope it's the most successful and The Last!

To mark the occasion, my lovely cousin Eli and dear friend Sue are looking after me this weekend, giving the Brave but Super-Stressed Julia a well deserved break to visit her parents.

And the title of this post?
Is the name of a runner in this afternoon's Grand National.
Seems particularly appropriate to me.
So put all your savings on at 16-1!
Best of luck.

3 comments:

  1. Now look here, Burrows, this has gone on for far too long. You come waltzing back to school with a list of sick notes the length of your arm...not one of them signed by your mother, mind...and expect everything to be as if you'd never been away. Not a sign of any classwork from you in a year, the only homework a few scraps you deigned to email in to the office and as for your project...well! I think probably best forget that for a while. Now, I hope that you fully intend to pull up your socks this term and try to improve your attendance record, not that you will find that difficult given your past year's record. I expect high standards here and you are in danger of pulling us all down the performance rankings so buck up, boy! Remember our motto, Noli nothis permittere te terere, and come back fighting. Run along now, there's a good lad. If I'm entirely honest, I'm really quite pleased to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Mr Patrick you think you should put your oar in again? Good idea, welcome back, but no more slinking off behind the Marsden bike sheds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your robust(!) support. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete