Thursday 21 June 2012

Tear Duct Cauterisation

A Word of Warning before you read this: if by any chance you're about to have your tear ducts cauterised in the near future, Stop Reading Now!
To counter some of the effects of GvHD, ie dry and smarting eyes, I had my tear ducts cauterised on Tuesday.
It was Horrible!
I had been assured that it would be quick and painless and had therefore, or so I am told (tho I can't remember it), turned down the offer of sedation.
Well, it was quick.
And thank Heaven it was, cos it certainly wasn't painless.

First, some anaesthetic eyedrops and a thorough wash of both eyes.
So far, so good.
Then anaesthetic injections in both eyes (two each) which were exCRUciating.

Then the Cauterisation itself, which was not only exTREmely painful (despite all the anaesthetic), but contained elements of my Worst Nightmares about it, including wisps of smoke and the pungent smell of burning flesh. Yes, really!



I was bellowing throughout like a Wounded Buffalo.

And then I heard myself apologising for being such a wimp.
Well, I take it all back!
It was Seriously Painful and my bellows were fully justified.
It was quite scary too, because it was so painful and one's eyes are very precious, so I was a little frightened of permanent damage.

However, it was at least all over in 5-10 minutes and though both eyes are slightly bruised, they were not painful afterwards and have been fine since.

And best of all, they are already showing signs of improvement even though it's still very early days. I was warned that they would take 2-3 weeks to heal fully, so they should continue to improve from here. I can already read a bit without discomfort, even without my specs, and they are much less dry, so need fewer drops daily.

But I'm very glad I took the surgeon's last minute advice to have all four done at the same time, rather than just two, which I had originally decided on, because I won't have to go through that Appalling Pain again!
 

8 comments:

  1. Smoke and smell of burning flesh? Aaaargh! AAAwful! Poooor you! I had mine in one eye re-opened/stretched a couple of years ago, because the duct was blocked and eyes were over-flowing all the time. That involved head in cage and doctor coming at me with a very large fat needle to insert in the duct. That was scary enough. Luckily, he was young enough to have a steady hand and it was indeed painless, as he promised.
    What worries me now is: what happens when your GvHD is over, the troops go back to civvy street and more productive activity and your eyes will be over-flowing with abundant tears???
    Do you go thru the procedure I had. Ok it all makes work for the men in white coats to do, la la la. Oh twas on the Monday morning the doctor came to call ..etc
    Lots of love from sweltering Rome YELS & co xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the procedure's irreversible, so there's no going back now!
    But there's permanent damage to my lacrimal glands from either GvHD or the Total Body Irradiation I had, so they don't produce enough tears for normal operation now, hence the need to have the tear ducts blocked and prevent what little fluid there is, either from tears or drops, from draining away too quickly.
    That's the Theory anyway.
    And so far it appears to be accurate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm squirming just thinking about it... AAARGGGH! But another step on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Told you so! All four Monte Carlo or bust! You never ever what to know what is going to happen. Have you had nightmares about it?

    Medicine is the most scarey thing you will ever come across stabbling in a dark alleyway anytime. Its when you see the Clean White Sheets you want to run. Poor Mr Patrick those docs have you cornered. Especially when after each bit of fresh cruelty they hand out some little drop of improvement.

    You do realise that you are the hero in a science fiction novel you havent been having delusions of reality have you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No stabbing not stabbling even I know that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks the Sympathy, All.
    V much appreciated.
    I also rather like Dixie's portmanteau word 'stabbling' - a mixture of stabbing and dabbling. No need to correct it!
    Eyesight remains much improved and drops are soothing, so all looking good - literally.
    As Jo says, "another step on"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Woad to Wecovewy pwesumably....

    ReplyDelete