Sunday 16 September 2012

Tube Strike !

No, not this Tube...
Tube Trouble again....

No, not that Tube, nor the NG tube which carries my nocturnal grub this time, but the tube inserted in my jugular vein via my right shoulder which is used every fortnight for the ECP treatment, taking blood out for exposure to UV light and then pumping it back in again.

Somehow on Friday night (why do these things always happen on a Friday night? at least it wasn't a Bank Holiday weekend this time) the stitch attaching this tube to my shoulder broke, and when I awoke on Saturday morning it became apparent that the tube had slipped from its previous position and there was therefore less of it still inserted in the vein. No blood or pain thankfully, but it did require another visit to St Thomas's on Saturday morning to have it checked out.
The X-ray revealed that only the very tip of the tube was still in the vein, so they taped it securely to my chest to prevent it moving any more and I will get it sorted (either pushed back in or, more likely, replaced) at my ECP review appointment with the consultant at St Thomas's, which as luck would have it is on Tuesday.

No excitement otherwise since my last posting just over a week ago.
And not much change either.
I'm still weak and wobbly and can't eat solid food, I'm still on the same cocktail of drugs, my eyes are still very poor and I'm still very itchy all over, varying from Moderately, through Seriously, to Incredibly.
However, looking back over the previous weeks and months, I can see General Improvement overall because I do feel slightly better and am capable of slightly more activity, but it is still imperceptibly slow going.
Condition Stable...
sorry, couldn't resist it!
But hey, it's 4 months since I was last discharged from hospital and my condition at least continues to be stable.

3 comments:

  1. Why are you surprised that it happened at a weekend? All tube engineering works are done at the weekend That's why nothing moves on Monday rush hour. Follow Tfl on Twitter and they will tell you what is going to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey, Dixie, you're right!
    I now know I'm undergoing Major Upgrade work and that it's scheduled to take another ten years to complete.
    Suddenly everything begins to make sense....

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I think we can be fairly confident that the Upgrade will not be halted by the discovery of Roman Remains necessitating 'scavi' and a further 10-year delay. Unless your former incarnations....?

    ReplyDelete